Well breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and this simple Kudala(Black Channa Daal) curry is what you need to push start your day. Not only is it really simple, Kudala curry along with Puttu (Steamed log shaped Rice cake) has been voted as the healthiest breakfast item in the recent past worldwide! In this recipe we are going to eat it with a Dosai, which is as healthy. So for our fourth installment of Cooking made Sexy we are going the vegetarian and healthy route with this simple curry.
2oo gm Black Chana Daal (Soak for 1 hr)
2 big Onions (Sliced)
5-7 Garlic cloves chopped
Kadipatta (Curry Leaves)
Indian Masalas (Turmeric, Red Chili, Cumin, Coriander Powders)
1 pack Coconut Milk
- Take coconut oil in a pressure cooker and heat till smokey
- Add the sliced onions and saute till translucent. Keep the flame on high
- Put the chopped garlic and curry leaves in and stir constantly.
- Once the aroma of cooked garlic hits you, add in the Indian masalas. One tsp each of Turmeric, Red Chili and Cumin powder, and one tbsp of Coriander powder.
- Cook till the raw smell of the masalas goes away. Then you can add the soaked Chana Daal.
- Stir the Chana till all the masalas have coated it nicely. Then add the water and cover with the pressure cooker lid.
- Now depending on cooking time, it generally takes me 2 whistles on high flame and 5 on slow to get the daal fully cooked. But if you have soaked the Chana for more than 4 hours it’ll take lesser.
- After its cooked, do keep the flame on low and add the coconut milk. Fresh coconut milk is always preferred but I’ve use the tetra pack for convenience. Shut the gas off and serve hot with Puttu or Dosai.
This version of the Kudala curry is so simple it takes less than half an hour to cook it fully. It can also be eating with Steamed or Red rice, Uttapams or just plain. Sometimes the simpler the ingredients, the better dish tastes and it is seen with this curry. So do try it and let me know in the comments how your curry turned out, till then Stay Sexy and Keep Cooking!!