Cooking Made Sexy: Pomfret Tawa Masala Fry!
8 dishes on and you can notice that we havent’t moved on from our ‘South Indian’ food. Well besides the fact that our Chef LOVES this cuisine, its also something different and every dish is unique in its own way. Fish being the favorite meat down south we are making a Sexy Pomfret Tawa Masala fry today from the kitchens of Mangalore. So without wasting anymore time lets begin!
4 whole Pomfret, cleaned and portioned
Turmeric Powder and Salt for Seasoning
For Base Masala:
10 Byadgi Chilies
10 Kashmiri Chilies
6 Garlic Pods
Half inch Ginger
1 Medium Onion
4 Green Chilies
1 lemon sized Tamarind Ball
Half and inch Cinnamon
3-4 Cloves (laung)
15 Black pepper corns
2-3 TBSP Coriander seeds
Half a bunch of Coriander leaves and Stalk
1 Grated Fresh Coconut
1 Medium Onion chopped
10-12 Curry Leaves
Salt for seasoning
- Marinade the portioned Pomfret with Salt and Turmeric.
- Roast in coconut oil all the ingredients in “Base Masala” individually except Grated Coconut, Coriander leaves and Stalk ad Tamarind.
- Blend all the ingredients in “Base Masala” with a little water in the blender (till blended) or Stone Grinder (2 hrs) till a thin consistency is reached.
- If blender is being used, strain the liquid and keep aside.
- In a Tawa (or pan) add one Tsp Coconut oil and one Tsp Ghee and heat.
- Add the chopped onion and curry leaves and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the Base Masala liquid and let it boil. Season well.
- Put in the portioned out Pomfret and reduce the Masala liquid till it becomes thick and coats the fish.
- Once cooked, add chopped coriander for garnish and serve hot with Onion roundels.
This Tawa Masala fry can be used for Prawns, different shellfish or any other type of Seafood. Make sure you keep the fish whole with a few gashes such that it looks prettier and the masala sticks to the fish. Also we’ve used lesser number of red chilies, you can increase or decrease as per your requirement. Do try this lovely dish at your home and let us know hot it turned out. Until the next recipe Stay Sexy and Keep Cooking!