Cooking made Sexy: Machi Mussalam with ID Fresh Whole Wheat Parotha.
When people hear the term Mussalam they automatically think of the Raja’s of Rampur, royalty and a heavy AF dish that they will take forever to make and finish eating. Well its partly true, but we’ve come up with a simple recipe for the basic Mussalam gravy and have used an entire Surmai in our dish, but it can be replaced with Potato, Snake Gourd, Chicken and even Mutton.So without further ado, lets begin with out 11th dish from the Royal family of Rampur. We’re serving this Sexy dish with ID Fresh Whole Wheat Paratha which is made fresh and without preservatives.
3 Onions Sliced
2 Tbsp Khus seeds (Poppy seeds)
150 g Almonds blanched and sliced.
1 Tbsp Ghee (Clarified Butter)
For Base Gravy:
2 Onions sliced
Half inch Cinnamon
10 nos. Black peppercorn
4 nos. Cloves
1 slit green Chili
For the Fish:
1 whole Surmai (with bone)
200 g Curd (can use hung curd as well)
1 Tsp Turmeric
1 Tbsp Ginger Garlic paste
Salt to taste
1 packet ID Fresh Food Whole Wheat Paratha
- Marinade the scored fish with the mixture of Curd, Salt, Turmeric and Ginger-Garlic paste for 2 hours.
- Take the sliced onions in a pan with the Ghee and fry till brown and take off the flame.
- In the same pan add the blanched and sliced Almonds and saute til light brown. Then put the Khus seeds (poppy) and fry for 10 minutes (continuously stirring.)
- Blend the brown onions with the Poppy and Almond mix to a fine paste using little water ans set aside.
- Do not put the pan for a wash, take another tbsp of ghee and pan fry the whole Surmai. You need to only get a good color on the fish not fully cook it. Take out from the pan after frying for 5 minutes on each side.
- Take a tbsp of Ghee and add the chopped onions in the same pan and saute till light brown. Add the slit chili and continue cooking.
- To this add the remaining of the marinade of the fish that was left over in the marinade vessel. After cooking it for 5-7 minutes add the thick onion-poppy-almond paste and mix the whole gravy.
- Add the half cooked Surmai to the above mix and coat the fish the gravy. Cover and Cook for 7-8 minutes on each side.
- Be careful when you are turning the fish as it might flake off a little bit. Garnish with chopped coriander. When the gravy has become a little more thick take out and serve hot with ID Fresh Whole Wheat Paratha.
The base gravy can be used for a wide variety of ingredients. Our favorite is the Surmai and also a stuff Snake Gourd (Doodhi.) If you do some more research a lot of people add tomatoes to the gravy as well, which is fine but what we’ve learned from people in Lucknow and Rampur this is the authentic way of making a Mussalam gravy. Its a little on the heavier and milder side, so you can add more than one slit chili to the gravy and also add a teaspoon of Garam Masala powder at the end of cooking the gravy to bring out more flavor. Do try this dish and let us know what you thought BombayFoodies. Till then Stay Sexy and Keep Cooking!!!